The main objective of the Vision is to consolidate the gains made and to transform Animal Husbandry Sector into profitable livestock agricultural business to further strengthen the rural economy.
- Tapping the untapped potential in Animal Husbandry Sector.
- Restructuring and revitalizing the credit institutions.
- Revitalizing the research, technology and extension to the growing demand.
- Working out strategy for up gradation of existing livestock for higher production.
- Exploring the scope and need for increased private participation in ensuing veterinary health care, disease control utilizing latest biotechnologies.
- Formulating new strategies for scientific feed and fodder development
- Evolving innovations relevant to the needs of 2020(AD)
- Exploiting marketing avenues for Livestock and Livestock Products through development of rural marketing grid.
- Spelling out policy interventions to harness potentialities of various categories of Livestock Sector.
THE MAJOR ACTIVITIES OF DEPARTMENT ARE:
- Improving the production potential by way of breed up gradation in Cattle and Buffaloes through Artificial Insemination.
- Providing preventive and curative health care to Livestock through constant vigil on disease outbreaks, rendering preventive vaccinations, deworming and treatment of ailing animals.
- Augmenting fodder production to meet the nutritional requirements of Livestock.
- Providing relief measures to livestock during natural calamities.
- Building awareness among farmers on profitable Livestock production.
- Coordinating with Health Department in controlling Diseases of Zoonotic importance.
- Providing technical support to Livestock based poverty alleviation programmes.
- Covering the Sheep population of the state under insurance programme